OneWeb, which will build a new global communications system in a joint venture with Airbus, reveals details of its network and launch strategy as well as the funding from a group of leading international companies.
- OneWeb has raised $500 million of funding from a group of leading international companies, including Airbus.
- The funding allows OneWeb to further develop key technologies to enable affordable broadband for rural and underdeveloped locations.
- The OneWeb User Terminals are optionally solar powered, and with their embedded LTE, 3G, 2G and Wifi access capabilities will extend the mobile operator’s reach.
- The network will also provide unprecedented speeds and low latency access to ships, planes, trains and oil platforms while providing seamless interoperability with Intelsat’s fleet of Ku band satellites.
- Tom Enders, Airbus CEO and Sunil Bharti Mittal, Founder and Chairman of Bharti Enterprises will be joining Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, Dr. Paul Jacobs, Executive Chairman of Qualcomm Incorporated, and Greg Wyler, founder of OneWeb, on the Executive Board.
- Following the announcement on June 15 of the joint venture between OneWeb and Airbus (pending regulatory approvals) to design and manufacture 900 microsatellites, OneWeb has announced the largest commercial rocket acquisition ever of more than 65 rockets including 21 Soyuz launch orders from Arianespace and 39 launches from Virgin Galactic’s LauncherOne.
Airbus Defence and Space selected to partner in production of OneWeb satellite constellation
We’re very excited to be part of OneWeb’s endeavor to provide global Internet access for everybody, everywhere. Whether at some remote place on earth or flying high on an Airbus aircraft, you’ll be connected: a grand proposition for mankind and a sound business opportunity for us! We are committed to giving our full industrial and space expertise to this mission
The dream of fully bridging the digital divide is on track to be a reality in 2019. We are committed to solving one of the world’s biggest problems – enabling affordable broadband Internet access for everyone. We are excited about the next phase, which will involve working with countries, telecom operators and aid organizations to help them realize their goals of open and ubiquitous access.
Our presence in the US
The full series production of the OneWeb satellites will take place in a plant in the US. Discover our activities in this countryRead more